Citizen Services

Calendar of Events
< Prev Events for March 2021 Next >
28 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3

How do I?





Fire Safety



Q: How do I register to vote?

  • Register online through the State of Connecticut here
  • Get a mail-in card to fill out here.
  • Get a paper copy from the Town Hall, Library, or DMV, and either mail it in or deliver it to the Registrar of Voters.

Q: How do I register to vote if I am 17 now but will be 18 by the election?

  • For both primary and general elections, you may register to vote normally if you will be 18 by the date of the general election. 

Q: How do I register on the same day as an election?

  • Come in to the Registrar of Voters on election day and you can register to vote that day.

Q: How do I change my political party?

  • This option is on the general registration form.

Q: How do I submit an absentee ballot?

  • Mail your absentee ballot to the Town Clerk's office.


Q: How do I pay my taxes?

  • Pay online here. There is a fee.
    • Credit card: 2.5% of the amount due (with a $2 minimum)
    • E-check: $2
    • Visa debit: $3.95.
    • Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
  • Pay by mail. Send the entire bill and self-addressed stamped envelope with a check made payable to "Tax Collector - Seymour." 
  • Pay in person. Bring your entire bill to the Tax Collector's office.

Q: How do I apply for the Homeowners Program?

  • Apply Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. beginning on February 1 through May 12 at the Assessor's Office.
  • Bring all necessary documentation that shows past year's income:
    • Social Security Income Statement
    • Income tax return, if required to file
    • Statements of income derived through persions, interest, dividends, etc. 
  • Qualifications: A married couple must have an income of $42,900 or less and a single person must have an income of $35,200 or less.
  • Income limits for the Town Tax Relief Program are $52,900 for a maried couple and $45,200 for a single person.
  • No applications accepted after May 12. Call (203) 881-5013 with any questions.

Q: How do I apply for the Rental Rebate?

  • Apply April 4 through September 30 between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Assessor's Office.
  • Eligibility: Must be 65 years of age by December 31 or totally disabled.
  • Income requirements: $35,200 or less for a single person and $42,900 or less for a married couple.
  • Provide proof of your past year's income. This includes:
    • copy of your Social Security Income
    • persion statements
    • interest and dividend statements
    • wage statements (if any)
    • copy of your federal income tax form if you filed one
  • Provide proof of expenses for the past year. This includes:
    • rent receipts for the full calendar year
    • utility receipts for the full calendar year (water, electricity, gas, oil, etc. but NOT telephone or cable TV). 
  • Call (203) 881-5013 with any questions.

Q: How do I apply for the Veterans' Exemption? 

  • File your DD214 (discharge paper) with the Town Clerk no later than September 30 of any year to be elligible for an exemption on the following year's taxes. No retroactivity. 
  • Must have served at least 90 days during a war/conflict recognized by the State of Connecticut OR have a disibility rating of 10% or greater. 

Q: How do I file to get one car exempt from taxes as an active member of the armed forces?

  • File your exemption form by the December 31 following when taxes are due. 
  • Form must be signed by your commanding officer.
  • Call the Assessor's Office at (203) 881-5013 to have the form sent to you by fax, mail, or email, or come to the Town Hall to pick one up.

Q: How do I get a car that I no longer own removed from the tax roll?

  • Provide a copy of your plate receipt.
  • If you have a junk receipt or bill of sale receipt, provide those as well to ensure you are not taxed for a period of time during which you did not have the car but still held the plates.
  • Send these materials by mail to the Assessor's Office, fax them to (203) 881-5005, email them to, orbring them in person to the Assessor.

Q: How do I schedule a visit from the Assessor?

  • Usually scheduled when you come in to obtain a permit.
  • If you find a card in your door from the Assessor, call the number on it.


Q: How do I obtain a dog license?

  • Come to the Town Clerk's office.
    • Fees: neutered/spayed $8, non-neutered/spayed $19.
    • Show rabies certification and proof of neuter/spay if you have it.
    • Cash or check only; no credit cards accepted.
  • Pay by mail by sending in the above materials with a self-addressed stamped envelope. The town will mail them back to you with your permit. 

Q: How do I obtain a marriage license?

  • For all information on marriage licenses, please look here.


Q: How do I fill out a permit for the Building department? 

  • Permit applications can be found here. Fill out this form and bring it to the Building Inspector, or fill one out at the Town Hall.

Q: How do I know if I need a permit?

  • Permits are required for any:
    • plumbing
    • heating
    • building
    • swimming pools
    • fill (changing land topography)
    • electrical work
    • oil tanks
    • signs
    • central A/C
    • demolitions
  • This list is not exhaustive. Call the Building Inspector at (203) 888-3545 if you are unsure of whether what you are doing requires a permit. It is better to err on the side of caution than to accidentally violate town law. 

Q: How do I obtain a permit?

  • Once you fill out an application, you must also show your plans to the Building Inspector.
  • You may be required to also visit:
    • Planning & Zoning
    • the Tax Office
    • the Assessor
    • the Wetlands Enforcement Officer
    • the Fire Marshal
  • Pay a fee based upon the estimated cost of your project. 

Fire Safety

Q: How do I get my wood stove inspected?

  • Call the Fire Marshal's office at (203) 881-5010 to schedle an inspection appointment. There is no cost; it is included with the building permit from the Building Inspector. 

Q: How do I obtain a burning permit?

  • Call the Fire Marshal's office at (203) 881-5010 to schedule a burning site inspection. The Fire Marshal will issue you a burning permit for BRUSH ONLY. Burning of leaves and garbage is NOT legal. 

Q: How do I know what fireworks I am allowed to set off?

  • Fireworks are NOT legal in the Town of Seymour, except candles and sparklers. Sky lanterns are NOT legal. 

Q: How do I obtain a smoke alarm?

  • If you live in a 1-2 family house, you can get a smoke alarm from the Fire Marshal's office for no cost. 

Q: How do I report a fire hazard?

  • Call the Fire Marshal's office at (203) 881-5010. Please DO NOT call this number for emergencies; instead, call 911.