Job Title: Assistant Tax Collector
Salary range: $49,959 - $55,983
Department: Tax Collector
Hours: Full time 35hr/wk
Start date: TBD
The Assistant Tax Collector assists in successful operation of the Tax Office. The Tax Collector’s Office must adhere to the general statutes of the State of Connecticut. The Office of Policy & Management is the general authority.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
- The Assistant Tax Collector may be required to perform any and all duties of the Tax Collector on any given work day and should familiarize him or herself of the Tax Collector’s duties & responsibilities.
- Track overpayments on taxes and prepare an approval report for the Board of Selectmen.
- Use DMV tracking system to locate mail returns or skipped taxpayers.
- Code mail returns into tax system.
- Search Town Clerk’s records
- Verify transfers
- Search titles for mortgage company information
- Search deaths and marriages as necessary
- Prepare statements for income tax purposes on request.
- Process returned checks.
- Release paid liens daily.
- Maintain address changes.
- Maintain bank codes on properties
- Balance certificate of changes from the Assessor.
- Reissue new bills or statements for changes.
- Open mail, verify payments, and process.
- Accept counter payments. Give receipts and proper change (if necessary)
- Verify, process, and follow-up on bankruptcy filings
- Verify, process, release and follow up on UCC Liens
- Post payments and batches in Quality Data
- Balance and prepare various reports from computer
- Process credit, debit, and IVR payments
- Answer questions from the public
- In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities, the employee will be required to perform any other duties assigned by his or her supervisor.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Tax Collector.
- Works under the general supervision of the Finance Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of current Connecticut law and administrative practices involving secured and unsecured property tax collections.
- Ability to read, understand and explain Connecticut State laws, regulations, and ordinances that apply to tax collection in the Town of Seymour.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and legal procedures applicable to the collection and enforcement for various kinds of delinquent accounts.
- Skills to define problems, analyze data, draw logical conclusions, and adopt effective courses of action.
- Ability to adjust to workload changes and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide clear and concise instructions.
- Must be able to deal tactfully and courteously with the public in person and over the phone and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and those contacted during the performance of duties.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced office environment.
- Supervise automated processing of tax payments, legal documents, and tax information.
- Attention to detail and accuracy a must
- Must be able to use a calculator
- Computer literate
- Ability to attend training and schooling to obtain or keep up with required certification(s).
- High school graduate or equivalent
- A Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business management or other relevant field is preferred but not required
- At least four (4) years’ experience in a Tax Collector's Office
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training
- Candidate must be able to obtain Certified Connecticut Municipal Collector certification within 3 years of hire date.
- Experience working with Quality Data Systems is preferred