Job Title: Economic Development Director
Salary range: $45,000
Department: Economic Development
Hours: Part Time
Start date: TBD
The Town of Seymour is accepting applications for a part-time Economic Development Director. Prospective candidates must submit a cover letter and the completed Town of Seymour Job Application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:30 pm on Monday, June 21, 2021.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Plans, organizes, and implements economic and community development projects and policies from conception to completion including business development, creation and retention, tourism, revitalization, redevelopment and marketing. Acts a liaison with the land use boards and officials. Establishes economic development goals and objectives for the Town, interfaces and coordinates with developers, businesses, and governments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and implements short- and long-term economic development goals in accordance with the Master Economic Development Plan (MEDP); gathers information and prepares studies, reports and recommendations to retain existing business, to attract new business, and to present a positive image of the Town.
- Develops and recommends economic development strategies to Strategic Planning Committee
- Work in conjunction with EDC and BOS to develop annual goals for performance evaluation
- Assist with growth and development of commercial and retail tax base through implementation of an aggressive economic development program.
- Analyzes existing economic situations relative to business attraction and expansion; reviews modern techniques for business attraction and retention and negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues; monitors the economic and community development program and reports to the Board of Selectmen.
- Establish and update an inventory of existing available, public and private buildings, businesses and land areas in the Town.
- Coordinates infrastructure development (industrial parks, utilities, transportation) to support business growth and expansion.
- Work in conjunction with the Town of Seymour Board of Selectmen to develop, promote & create new tax incentive plans and revise older plans for businesses in Seymour or seeking to relocate to Seymour.
- Provide a detailed quarterly summary of commercial, retail or industrial contacts or inquiries made each month.
- Development of a business retention and expansion program including site visits, marketing, and business advocacy and recruitment program including target industry analysis, marketing, site selection, and resources.
- Markets and assists in sale of town owned properties. Assists with the marketing and sales of privately owned properties, rentals and leases.
- Assists in maintenance of the EDC website with additional web-pages for the on-line promotion of the Town of Seymour.
- Researches, identifies and utilizes resources for community and economic development, including sources of funding, grant opportunities, and technical expertise.
- Attend EDC meetings and as necessary other board/commission meetings (Board of Selectmen, Planning and Zoning, Inland Wetlands, Conservation Commission).
- Work in conjunction with Town Departments, boards and agencies; business organizations; community groups; and local, regional, state, and federal agencies.
- Serves as the media contact for Seymour economic development activities.
- Attends conferences, seminars, workshops, classes, lectures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of economic development; attends professional, civic, and social gatherings, as appropriate, to represent and promote interests of the Town and to collect information pertinent to advancement of interests of the Town.
- Monitors local, state, federal legislation and regulations relating to community and economic development, and reports findings, trends, and recommendations to the Board of Selectman.
- In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities, the employee will be required to perform any other duties assigned by his or her supervisor.
- Works in conjunction with Economic Development Commission, but does not report to them.
- Works under the general supervision of the First Selectman
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of economic development planning, strategies, implementation and program evaluation.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of local planning and development; planning, zoning, design and subdivision law, theory and applications; local government structure and operation, including budgetary procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of research methodology and statistics, modern management practices; financial management, banking and real estate practices.
- Skill in the translation of technical data, financial documents and accounting records into an easily understood format.
- Skill in public relations; making presentations, writing reports and other communication practices.
- Skill in general office management and practices, interpersonal communication, employee supervision, motivation, and the ability to direct the work of others.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, business owners, developers, financiers and other government agencies.
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply complex written material
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Graduation from college with a Bachelor’s Degree in business, urban planning, public administration or closely related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience performing above or related duties, to include two (2) years in a supervisory capacity, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Master’s Degree in business, urban planning, public administration and/or five (5) years’ experience in real estate preferable.
License or Certificate: Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) preferred. Valid Driver’s License.