Our Office consists of a Fire Marshal, Deputy Fire Marshal, and volunteer Fire Inspectors. The Fire Marshal oversees the compliance of all public facilities and occupancies in Seymour; the investigation and reporting of fires; enforcement of state regulations concerning flammable materials; the administration of fire lanes; and evaluation of the level of fire protection needed at special events. We also advocate for, and provide community fire-safety education.
Below you will find helpful information and links. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call our office.
Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Test your home smoke alarms at least once per week. Do this by pressing the test button on the unit. Some newer models also feature the ability to test the unit with a flashlight as well. If you are unsure as to whether your unit has this feature, check your operations manual or consult the manufacturer.
If you do not have one already installed, install a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, odorless, invisible gas, which is absorbed by the human body 200 times faster than oxygen. Carbon monoxide will cause people to fall into a deep sleep and cause death. Gas fireplaces, gas stoves, barbecues, gas furnaces, automobiles, propane appliances and any other device that produces a flame will produce carbon monoxide.
Have a Plan!
Residents that utilize wall space heaters or other heating device should remember to pull all furniture and other combustible items at least three feet away from any heating devices Space heaters are temporary heating devices and should only be used for a limited time each day and should never be connected to an outlet with an extension cord. When not in use, be sure to unplug the unit and let it cool down if you will be storing the unit.
Causes of Fires
Household Fire Safety
Outdoor Fire Safety
Winter Fire Safety