Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives!
We also strive to prevent and reduce the incidents of fires. This is accomplished through fire safety education. This increases awareness and knowledge of actions adults and children can take to prevent fires. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms have been saving lives since they were invented. Please use and maintain them. If anyone has any questions regarding their use, please do not hesitate to contact the Office.
The Office has a full time Fire Marshal, a full time Deputy Fire Marshal and several volunteers to accomplish our mission.
Please remember, Fire Prevention – Everyone/Everyday
Duties and responsibilities as prescribed by State law include:
- Performs fire investigations to determine the origin and cause of all fires in Seymour
- Conducts plan reviews to insure construction complies with applicable fire codes
- Performs inspections on construction projects
- Conducts annual and semi-annual inspections on all properties other and one and two family homes
- Issues permits for blasting
- Issues compliance certificates for nursery schools and day care centers
- Issues compliance certificates to Health Care facilities and Group Homes
- Conducts fire code inspections prior to respective departments issuing liquor licenses and health permits
- Conducts fire prevention and educations talks and training
- Maintains fire marshal certification by attending mandatory continuing education courses
- Inspects bulk tank installations of flammable and combustible liquids and gases
- Inspect gasoline and diesel fuel dispensing stations
- Issue permits and conducts inspections for fireworks and special effects displays
- Inspects regulated tents and portable structures
- Receives complaints regarding fire hazards and potential code violations and responds and investigates them as necessary
- Provides safety tips and education on general fire code enforcement
- Works closely with other Town Departments including Building Officials, Health Officials and Seymour Police and Fire Departments
- Assists in the abatement of hazards regarding Hoarding